[Nut-upsuser] testing shutdown: pc not restarting; and "ups unavailable" messages

nut.user.u830 at neverbox.com nut.user.u830 at neverbox.com
Thu Feb 1 00:53:38 UTC 2018

Executive summary:

I am installing a UPS with NUT on Ubuntu for the first time. I could
follow the instructions up to "testing shutdowns" but on executing the
recommended command the computer shuts down and never comes back on,
contrary to what the instructions suggest.

I am also seeing regular broadcast messages on the console that the UPS
is unavailable (and in the  syslog that the connection timed out),
although the physical USB connection seems to be OK.

Where should I be looking to diagnose the fault?

Details:

OS: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS

exact NUT version: nut is already the newest version (2.7.2-4ubuntu1.2).

NUT installation method: from source tarball, package or Subversion:
sudo apt install nut nut-monitor usbhid-ups
exact device name and related information (manufacturing date, web
pointers, …),
Cyber Power Value 800EILCD
https://www.cyberpower.com/uk/en/product/sku/Value800EILCD

complete problem description, with any relevant traces, like system log
excerpts, and driver debug output. You can obtain the latter using the
following command, as root and after having stopped NUT:

I followed the instructions at
http://networkupstools.org/docs/user-manual.chunked/ar01s06.html
adjusting the paths as appropriate for ubuntu. However when I get to
"Testing shutdowns" and "You can finally test a forced shutdown sequence
[...] If everything works correctly, the computer will power on again".

The latter does not happen. The computer shuts down and never comes back
up unless I turn it back on manually at the power switch.

The instructions then say that "If your UPS just sits there and never
resets the load, you are vulnerable to a power race and should add the
"reboot after timeout" hack at the very least."

I presume this hack is the one in the code box a few lines above, namely

  if (test -f /etc/killpower)
         then
                 echo "Killing the power, bye!"
                 /usr/local/ups/bin/upsdrvctl shutdown

                 sleep 120

                 # uh oh... the UPS power-off failed
                 # you probably want to reboot here so you don't get stuck!
                 # *** see also the section on power races in the FAQ! ***
         fi

But two doubts about it:

1) should I still do it despite the warning above it that "this step is
not need[ed] if you installed from packages", which I did?

2) If I am supposed to add this into my shutdown scripts, what is their
path? I could not find that anywhere in the whole page by searching for
"shutdown scripts".

Finally, a possibly related and possibly unrelated issue is that I get a
number of messages like this on the console

Broadcast message from nut at sauron (somewhere) (Mon Jan 29 09:55:42 2018):

UPS cyber at localhost is unavailable

and in /var/log/syslog

Jan 29 09:55:02 sauron upsmon[2385]: Poll UPS [cyber at localhost] failed -
Data stale
Jan 29 09:55:42 sauron upsmon[2385]: message repeated 8 times: [ Poll
UPS [cyber at localhost] failed - Data stale]
Jan 29 09:55:42 sauron upsmon[2385]: UPS cyber at localhost is unavailable
Jan 29 09:55:47 sauron upsmon[2385]: Poll UPS [cyber at localhost] failed -
Data stale
Jan 29 09:55:52 sauron upsmon[2385]: Poll UPS [cyber at localhost] failed -
Data stale
Jan 29 09:55:56 sauron upsd[2377]: Send ping to UPS [cyber] failed:
Resource temporarily unavailable
Jan 29 09:55:57 sauron upsd[2377]: Connected to UPS [cyber]:
usbhid-ups-cyber
Jan 29 09:55:57 sauron upsmon[2385]: Poll UPS [cyber at localhost] failed -
Driver not connected

but occasionally it says it can connect:

Jan 29 09:56:02 sauron upsmon[2385]: Communications with UPS
cyber at localhost established

Where should I be looking to find out what the problem is?

Help and advice gratefully received.