[Nut-upsuser] Best Power FE700VA?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 11:49:48 UTC 2018

On Feb 12, 2018, at 11:53 PM, David Melik wrote:

> On 01/21/2018 05:53 AM, Charles Lepple wrote:
>> If you hook up a terminal emulator to the comms port (1200 baud, 8/N/1 unless stickers and/or configuration DIP switches indicate otherwise), and type "f" <return>, do you get a status line like one of the following?
>>
>>    https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/v2.7.4/drivers/bestfcom.c#L226-L244
>
> Of course, I got Eaton Powerware's RS-232 cable for FE700VA/etc. but don't know what 'hook up a terminal emulator'... no Slackware GNU/Linux BASH command 'f,' or do I run (or install/compile) a certain program to enable/access that?

minicom or screen should work - after you configure the serial port settings, they will show everything sent by the UPS, and you can enter the "f" command in that session.

For initial setup, you can run "minicom -s" and it takes you right to the configuration screen. You will probably want to clear out some of the modem init strings if they are present - the UPS will likely not understand them.