[imap-mixer] [Announce] starting a test suites

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Wed Dec 7 22:17:38 GMT 2011

Hi all,

As promised, here is a start for our new test suites.

The public repository stands at http://github.com/nicolas33/imap-mixer .

Don't expect too much for now, though. I haven't even started any code
implementation. I had time to write a small abstract of what I aim to
do. You'll find some documentation at the main github page, and here

  http://github.com/nicolas33/imap-mixer/blob/master/doc/specs/design.rst

for the design. The main approach is to create a multi-purpose proxy (to
test both IMAP clients _and_ server projects) with STOMP usage for
dynamic interactions.

The goal might appear very high but I do believe it won't be as hard as
it looks like at first expectations.

I expect the next step to be the implementation of a basic spy agent.
The idea I have behind is to be able to log (to a file or to the
console) the raw and/or sanitized messages passing through the proxy.
This way, we could start using this project to help us to understand
what happens in some real uses cases (and before writing the most
complicated pieces).

Finally, the more I think about the core language the more I think that
golang is well suited for the purpose (as beeing a compiled language in
the midway stage between full object-oriented/interpreted languages
(like python) and C.

Of course, we'll be able to manage the proxy with a full Python API
(also used to implement the calls from the command-line, by the way).

Feedbacks if any at this stage are appreciated.

Good reading!

--
Nicolas Sebrecht