Which encoding is used by offlineimap?

Sebastian Spaeth Sebastian at sspaeth.de
Wed Sep 7 17:17:09 BST 2011

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 14:19:21 +0200, Victor Pablos Ceruelo <victorpablosceruelo at gmail.com> wrote:

Here are your error reasons:
> abort: command: CHECK => connection terminated
> abort: command: CHECK => connection terminated
> abort: command: CHECK => connection terminated

So far we did not discard dropped connections properly, and a patch has
gone in.

> error: [ALERT] Account exceeded command or bandwidth limits. (Failure)
> error: [ALERT] Account exceeded command or bandwidth limits. (Failure)

There is very little that we can do about this.

> Maybe I'm wrong ...

I would still be surprised if this is related to encodings, but Gmail
has been found to refuse some mails for uploading, it might well be
related to it.

> One question: is it normal to get the following result when counting
> the number of
> emails in each encoding? I mean, shouldn't all them be using the same encoding?
>
>  Previous encoding of files was:
>      74 /home/vpablos/secured/encrypted/Mail-Backup/Logs/encodings//binary
>    6089 /home/vpablos/secured/encrypted/Mail-Backup/Logs/encodings//iso-8859-1
>     681 /home/vpablos/secured/encrypted/Mail-Backup/Logs/encodings//unknown-8bit
>   42843 /home/vpablos/secured/encrypted/Mail-Backup/Logs/encodings//us-ascii
>    4789 /home/vpablos/secured/encrypted/Mail-Backup/Logs/encodings//utf-8

No, emails are simply binary blobs for OfflineImap and they are stored
exactly as they arrive, which will be in all kinds of crap.

Sebastian