<DKIM> Emails might go to GMail's SPAM folder

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Tue Feb 2 01:57:34 GMT 2016

On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 10:03:23PM -0300, Raphaƫl wrote:

> Even better, using the DKIM l=<N> field to limit signature scope to the
> first <N> bytes of the message's body [1].
> With N being the length of the body, it would pass DMarc test since
> mailing-list robots usually only append message.
> [and an attacker would be given append-only modification permissions]

I'll contact the laposte.net support to get all those relevant points
improved.

Where the spam policy hurts is:

- mailing list is not the glitch. At least, not the only one. Mails sent
  directly are marked as spam, too.

- I'm not the only one (by far) to be concerned by this issue. Something
  with DKIM is clearly failing. And DKIM is a both sides agreement. I'm
  blaming Google not only for not having this issue solved but also for
  not responding to users on their own forum about this exact same issue.
  There are public reports about that since 2013.

- You say that individually marking mails as non-spam is unlikely to
  work. If I didn't have positive reports from users who tried, I would
  think the same. Anyway, I fully agree with you that it's not a
  satisfying way to solve this. And I'm blaming Google to not allow
  their users to decide what is good for them (e.g. configure whether
  they want or not DKIM tests for an address or a domain). "Unlikely to
  work" means not "really acceptable" in this case: they are missing the
  point.

As I said, war against spam is hard. But IMHO, putting users in
tricky/impossible situation is the worse thing to do.

I know I'm strong, especially in my blog post, so I understand this
might hurt some people.  But I'm sure you're well aware about Google's
marketing.  They pretend solving real life problems with great tools and
engineering superiority, isn't it? ,-p

--
Nicolas Sebrecht