[PKG-OpenRC-Debian] OpenRC status in Jessie

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sat Oct 25 09:36:10 UTC 2014

On 10/25/2014 04:36 PM, Niels Thykier wrote:
> On 2014-10-25 09:25, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> Dear Release Team,
>>
>> I thought it was best to write now, rather than after the freeze.
>>
>> [... snip context ...]
>>
>> Anyways, my hope is that we will have the opportunity to fix things
>> "soon", and that you will accept the necessary unblocks when Jessie is
>> frozen.
>>

> Hi Thomas,
>
> If the uploads fixing these bugs comply with the freeze policy[1], we
> will be happy to oblige.
>   I guess you are concerned by the fact that openrc has a new upstream
> release stuck in sid, which might not make it in time for Jessie?

Correct. Sorry if I didn't make it clear.

> If you want the new version of openrc, I strongly /advise/ you to deal
> with #765785 ASAP.  You /might/ still be able to upload a new version of
> openrc before the deadline (haven't checked).  Then you can focus on a
> minimal patch for #765785 after openrc/0.13.1 has migrated.
>   Be advised, if your fix miss the deadline, then the entire 0.13 upload
> (including the new upstream release) will have to comply with the freeze
> policy (which I doubt it does at first glance).
>
> For the rest, apply/follow the freeze policy[1].

Which is what I worry about. I *cannot* work on it right now. I'm moving
to Russian tomorrow, then to Paris for the OpenStack summit.

I'm also worried if 0.13 doesn't migrate, because it's going to be more
difficult to update version 0.12 to Jessie.

It'd be awesome if we could allow a bit more delay for OpenRC this time,
and not be so hyper-strict with the freeze date for it. I know I'm
asking to break the rules, and I don't like it either... :(

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)