[Openstack-devel] Ceph packaging in Debian GNU/Linux

Laszlo Boszormenyi (GCS) gcs at debian.hu
Mon Jun 11 22:22:14 UTC 2012

Hi Loic, Sage,

On Sun, 2012-06-10 at 14:21 +0200, Loic Dachary wrote:
> On 06/09/2012 05:01 PM, Laszlo Boszormenyi (GCS) wrote:
> > On Sat, 2012-06-09 at 15:39 +0200, Loic Dachary wrote:
> >> Amazingly quick answer ;-) Did you build from sources or using the packages provided by ceph themselves ?
> >  It's not that short to answer. I'm a DD and thus, I do my packages. Try
> > not to diverge much from their packages, so sometimes I send patches to
> > them. But you have to note, we have different objectives. They build for
> > stable releases, I do it for Sid, targeting Wheezy.
> Maybe they changed their policy because I used the packages they built for wheezy successfully. Are there many differences between yours and theirs ?
 Well, a bit strange that you could build their stable packages on
Wheezy, but not that impossible. Please note, that they favor Ubuntu, at
least the ceph-kdump-copy package is a nonsense on Debian.

About changes, see the attached patches for example. Upstream list
python build-dependency twice, the first can be deleted and list an
empty recommends line. It's better to run configure in its own target,
as seen in the second patch.
One of its build dependency, leveldb is not buildable on several
platforms. Thus a
sed -i "s/Architecture: linux-any/Architecture: amd64 armel armhf i386 ia64 mipsel/" debian/control
is needed on their tree.

 You asked if I need help with packaging. Only test that it's buildable.
First is libs3 [1], I could test it on amd64 only. The second is ceph
itself[2]. Could test it on amd64, interested about builds on armel,
armhf, i386, ia64 or mipsel. Losing users on mips, powerpc, s390, s390x
and sparc, due to leveldb not buildable on them.

 Sage, please be honest. How do you choose other projects to depend on?
It's clear that leveldb doesn't have any stable release, only a git
tree. Checking the Debian build logs, it's also known that it doesn't
build on several arches. Its maintainer tries porting it to those, and
it contains his work that it's buildable on others.
Checking the other external dependency, libs3. It seems to be abandoned
since 2008, according to Amazon itself[3]. As I can't access its git
tree[4], I don't know otherwise.

Cheers,
Laszlo/GCS
[1] dget -x http://www.barcikacomp.hu/gcs/libs3_2.0-1.dsc