[Openstack-devel] sync Ceph packaging efforts for Debian/Ubuntu

Laszlo Boszormenyi (GCS) gcs at debian.hu
Sat Jun 16 00:10:12 UTC 2012

Hi all parties,

Ceph is packaged at three places: in Ubuntu, at upstream and in Debian.
Its first 'stable' release, 0.48 is coming. At least as Sage wrote some
days ago: "It looks like 0.48 will also be the basis for one of our
first 'stable' releases.".

Hereby I would like to sync our Debian related packaging efforts, not
only for the mentioned stable release. The OpenStack packaging team
would like to add Ceph to their stack. Howtos, helping hands on forums
needs it as well.
I'm not subscribed to the lists, please keep me in the loop with Cc-s.

First patch, 0002-Add-support-PPC.patch is for upstream. Would help the
in tree leveldb to build on PowerPC architectures as well.
Second patch reflect the homepage and git tree changes for Ubuntu.
Third patch is from them, noted as "Switch from libcryptopp to libnss as
libcryptopp is not seeded.". So libnss3-dev is used as build-dependency
instead. Sage, would you commit it?
I've separated gceph out, if someone needs the CLI only, then s/he can
do that without the GTK+ libraries. See below.

Ben, James, can you please share in some sentences why ceph-fuse is
dropped in Ubuntu? Do you need it Sage? If it's feasible, you may drop
that as well.
As I see, you still ship d/librgw1.install , d/librgw1.postrm ,
d/librgw1.postinst and librgw-dev.install . They are not needed anymore.
Maybe the biggest change is that ceph-mds was separated out and such,
ceph-fs-common created for cephfs and mount.ceph .
Please move the configure call to its target, as you can check in git.
Add var/lib/ceph/mon , var/lib/ceph/osd and var/lib/ceph/mds to
d/ceph.dirs .

git patch is for Sage, upstream and contains what needed for the new
packages. May I get commit rights to debian/ or should I go with git
forks and you'll merge the changes?

Also it seems that limit the architectures to build on is not
allowed[1]. I'll write an email to this issue, how to go with failing
leveldb build-dependency on some archs.

Loic, do you need anything or do you have any objections with these
changes?

Regards,
Laszlo/GCS