[Openstack-devel] Fwd: [GSoC]Interested in "Package an Openstack use case" project

Loic Dachary loic at dachary.org
Wed Mar 28 19:01:13 UTC 2012

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [GSoC]Interested in "Package an Openstack use case" project
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 23:04:37 +0530
From: Shashank Sahni <shredder12 at gmail.com>
To: loic at debian.org

Hi Loic,

I'm interested in the openstack packaging project being offered as
part of GSoC 2012 from Debian. I believe you are the primary mentor of
this project. I tried to contact you on the IRC but you were not
available, hence I'm contacting through mail.

About Me
=======

I'm Shashank Sahni. I'm currently pursuing my MS in IIIT Hyderabad,
India. My work has primarily been focused on Virtualization
technologies for last two semesters and am currently working on VM
Migration as part of my Thesis research.

I'm interested in this project because I've been working extensively
on Openstack for the past 6-8 months as part of setting up a private
cloud in my research lab. I've been involved in the project from the
beginning and am currently the maintainer along with two junior
admins. I plan to opt for System Administration/DevOps as a career,
hence this project will allow me to interact with different system
administrators from all over the world, providing valuable experience.

What I can offer
===========
=> I've dealt with various deployment scenarios of Openstack - single
node, dual, multiple(production class) deployment. As a result, I
understand the need of automating/easing certain deployment cases.
=> I've been a tech-writer and co-founder of the website
http://linuxers.org where I wrote various HowTos and articles on Linux
and System administration. This along with my experience with
openstack will allow me to easily and correctly document various use
cases.

As per the desirable skills of this project, I lack experience in
Debian packaging. I've been interested in learning packaging
techniques and even started off a year back with Ubuntu but due to
academic liabilities couldn't continue. I consider this project
an opportunity to learn and gain these set of skills.

My understanding of the project
=======================
I believe you are looking for an orchestration solution here.
Something similar to the one provided by Ubuntu as part of Ubuntu
Enterprise cloud(UEC). In their offering, with every Eucalyptus
installation you had the option to configure the system during
installation of the package.

Similary in case of openstack, during installation of nova the user
will be asked to:

=> Specify the service offered by nova on this system - compute,
controller, network, volume etc.
=> Whether there is already a controller it would like to register to
after being setup
=> Various other service specific options.

Hence unless complex issues arise, the user won't have to deal with
manually editing configuration files.

I'd certainly send a proposal soon, but wanted to introduce myself,
share my experience and understanding of the project with you before
starting.

Looking forward to your thoughts and opinion.

Regards,
Shashank Sahni