[Openstack-devel] Wheezy / Sid Install Documentation Questions

Raymond Burkholder ray at oneunified.net
Thu May 3 12:28:20 UTC 2012

Hopefully this is the correct forum for these questions.  If not, please
direct me to the correct spot.

Yesterday, I took the opportunity of working my way through the
documentation found at http://wiki.debian.org/OpenStackHowto.  I figured out
most of the bits and pieces.  Here are some things I'm not sure about.

I gather " echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward" is only necessary for the
compute node?  How about " "nbd max_part=65" >> /etc/modules"?  Compute and
/ or Proxy?

I first tried attempting an install via Wheezy directly to see what would
happen.  And to make it even more difficult, I wanted to substitute
Postgresql for Mysql.  For the Wheezy build, it allows a database selection
for Keystone.  I chose the Postgres option.  I encountered some errors due
'dialect' problems.  I did some research on it, and I think I determined the
cause.

But then I realized I was supposed to be doing this in Sid, so I started
over with Sid. In Sid, I think Keystone is now using SQLite, so that becomes
a non-issue.

However, Nova does have an installation prompt for database selection.
Here, again, I chose Postgresql.  I think there is a similar problem here.
I think I ended up changing " dbc_dbtype='pgsql'' to "
dbc_dbtype='postgresql'' in /etc/dbconfig-common/nova-common.conf.

Is anyone testing / packaging with Posgresql and can test this path?  As
Postgresql is the database installed when one selects the 'database' option
during initial operating system install, this might be a good package path
to test.

The documentation says " Point your browser to this server,.... ".  It
should probably say " Point your browser to this server at port 8080 ... ".

One thing I don't understand, is " Install the VNC console".  Is this
"apt-get install vnc4server" or something else?  Is this on the Compute
and/or Proxy nodes?

I see the group has put a massive amount of effort into this, and I thank
the group for making it possible to get things up and running on Debian.
Over the next few days, I'll now start setting up images and see how that
works.

believed to be clean.