[Openstack-devel] Wheezy / Sid Install Documentation Questions

Loic Dachary loic at enovance.com
Thu May 3 13:52:54 UTC 2012

On 05/03/2012 02:28 PM, Raymond Burkholder wrote:
> Hopefully this is the correct forum for these questions.  If not, please
> direct me to the correct spot.
>
> Yesterday, I took the opportunity of working my way through the
> documentation found at http://wiki.debian.org/OpenStackHowto.  I figured out
> most of the bits and pieces.  Here are some things I'm not sure about.
>
> I gather " echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward" is only necessary for the
> compute node?  How about " "nbd max_part=65" >> /etc/modules"?  Compute and
> / or Proxy?
>
> I first tried attempting an install via Wheezy directly to see what would
> happen.  And to make it even more difficult, I wanted to substitute
> Postgresql for Mysql.  For the Wheezy build, it allows a database selection
> for Keystone.  I chose the Postgres option.  I encountered some errors due
> 'dialect' problems.  I did some research on it, and I think I determined the
> cause.
>
> But then I realized I was supposed to be doing this in Sid, so I started
> over with Sid. In Sid, I think Keystone is now using SQLite, so that becomes
> a non-issue.
>
> However, Nova does have an installation prompt for database selection.
> Here, again, I chose Postgresql.  I think there is a similar problem here.
> I think I ended up changing " dbc_dbtype='pgsql'' to "
> dbc_dbtype='postgresql'' in /etc/dbconfig-common/nova-common.conf.
>
> Is anyone testing / packaging with Posgresql and can test this path?  As
> Postgresql is the database installed when one selects the 'database' option
> during initial operating system install, this might be a good package path
> to test.
Hi,

The HOWTO is being actively worked on and Essex was only recently released. As a result I'm not confident that you will succeed in easily implementing the HOWTO with the variations you suggest. It will most probably require a few upstream patches ( a number of patches were committed upstream because they were necessary to succeed ).
> The documentation says " Point your browser to this server,.... ".  It
> should probably say " Point your browser to this server at port 8080 ... ".
Right ! This is a bug. I thought about it but forgot to fix it. It's done.

> One thing I don't understand, is " Install the VNC console".  Is this
> "apt-get install vnc4server" or something else?  Is this on the Compute
> and/or Proxy nodes?
The "Install the VNC console" has been removed, it's confusing. It is enough to follow the instructions.

> I see the group has put a massive amount of effort into this, and I thank
> the group for making it possible to get things up and running on Debian.
> Over the next few days, I'll now start setting up images and see how that
> works.

Thank you for the feedback ;-)

--
Loïc Dachary         Chief Research Officer
// eNovance labs   http://labs.enovance.com