[Openstack-devel] RFC: starting daemons after install

Loic Dachary loic at enovance.com
Thu May 24 12:00:21 UTC 2012

On 05/24/2012 12:01 PM, Ghe Rivero wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>     openstack is a huge and complex project (there are so many
> different deployments scenarios) and we can not make possible to ask
> every question via debconf. In some on this scenarios, it's important
> to configure things before starting the daemons, or if using
> autodeployments tools like puppet/chef, the default options can be not
> the best ones, I was thinking about not auto start the installed
> daemons once installed.
>
> In the case of nova,  I just created a /etc/default/nova file to
> configure it globally (the same entry for all nova related daemons),
> and modified the .init files. I will not  upload a package with this
> changes for now. Suggestions are welcomed.
>
> Ghe Rivero

Hi,

I'm a big fan of useable defaults. Hence, starting the daemons by default is something I think useful. Of course it won't be possible to address all scenarios. But I strongly believe that we need to aim at "apt-get install openstack" => something is working by default. If no daemon starts by default, we can't achieve this. The default configuration should be the simplest possible use case. For nova it means basically what you get after running http://wiki.debian.org/OpenStackHowto manually, that is a monomachine installation that does most of what a newbie would expect from a cloud solution.

It should however be possible to preseed the fact that the daemon does not start, for more complex deployment scenarios.

Does that make sense ?

--
Loïc Dachary         Chief Research Officer
// eNovance labs   http://labs.enovance.com