[Openstack-devel] Debstack instead of Devstack?

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Fri Feb 8 13:33:20 UTC 2013

On 02/08/2013 08:41 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> I've had a look over devstack and also the Folsom howto on the Debian wiki

I wouldn't recommend using devstack. That's for developers only, using
sources, with everything setup in /opt. That's really not suitable for
production, and it will be hard to debug problems that you *will* face
(it's using the latest version from github, which must be filled with
bugs at this point of the release cycle (eg: in the middle of it)).

> Can anyone comment on how to get a devstack-like single box up and
> running the Debian way, using Xen/wheezy/Folsom? Can the approach in the
> howto be used?

If you want a fast setup on a single box, simply do:

apt-get install openstack-toaster

using Folsom and what's on the wiki (eg: my unofficial Debian repo). And
if you don't want to bother answering the Debconf questions, then you
can do some pre-seeding. I've started writing a preseeds script here:

http://archive.gplhost.com/misc/automagical_openstack.txt

but I haven't finished it. Though for anyone doing a bit of Debian
packaging that includes some debconf and dbconfig-common stuff, it
shouldn't be hard to understand. I'm sure you will! :)

Also, this is for KVM, not for Xen, which is a lot more complicated to
setup. If you're planning on using XCP and Openstack, then you should
read what's in /usr/share/doc/nova-xcp-plugins/README.xcp_and_openstack
which will only give you an overview of it, and which I wrote a year
ago, so it must be outdated for Folsom (for example: no need to bother
with setting-up databases and MySQL access rights, since that part is
now automated with dbconfig-common ...).

> The box I have in mind is a DL360 G6, 32GB and 4 fast disks - should
> this be sufficient for a combined proxy node + compute node + cinder +
> glance all-in-one? Anything I learn from doing this I'm happy to
> contribute back in scripts or the wiki.

Yes, that's more than enough. For a test machine, just to try Openstack,
I believe that a single HDD, and 4GB of RAM is enough.

If you plan on using Cinder, make sure you do smart partitioning though.
Cinder uses LVM, while compute and Glance will write images in /var,
which needs to be big enough. So, with 4 disks, I'd go for LVM over
RAID10, and have your /var on the LVM, so you can resize everything as
you wish / as needed.

Last word: yes! packaging contributions, wiki enhancement, etc. are more
than welcome! Thanks. :)

Cheers,

Thomas