[Openstack-devel] Debconf templates review time?

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sun Oct 13 05:21:38 UTC 2013

On 10/12/2013 08:53 PM, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Thomas Goirand (zigo at debian.org):
>> On 10/09/2013 12:37 PM, Christian PERRIER wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I would like to know whether things have been sorted out wrt the name
>>> of the software, so that we could proceed to the review of English
>>> debconf templates and call for translations.
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance....
>>
>> Hi Christian,
>>
>> You can proceed with reviewing the Neutron package [1], which is
>> currently in Debian experimental (version 2013.2~rc1). Within about 10
>
> Sounds like there are problems in that package:
>
> cperrier at mykerinos:~/travail/debian/translation/po-debconf/neutron-2013.2~rc1 $ debconf-updatepo
> can't open ./../neutron-plugin-openvswitch.templates: No such file or directory at /usr/share/intltool-debian/intltool-extract line 204.
> can't open ./../neutron-plugin-metaplugin.templates: No such file or directory at /usr/share/intltool-debian/intltool-extract line 204.
> /usr/bin/xgettext: error while opening "../neutron-plugin-openvswitch.templates.h" for reading: No such file or directory
> ERROR: xgettext failed to generate PO template file. Please consult
>        error message above if there is any.

Correct! And here's why.

tl;dr: templates from quantum were moved to neutron-common.

<long explanation of what's going on>
What happened is that I have reviewed a bit the general organization of
the source package. I completely removed the plugin packages, because
there was too many of them, and I have found a way to make things a way
more simple.

Now, the neutron-common include all what is necessary (eg: all plugins).
Then, either using debconf or editing by hand /etc/neutron/neutron.conf,
a Neutron user decides which plugin to use (that's made under the
"core_plugin" directive). Then, the init.d script for neutron-server
reads neutron.conf, and decides which corresponding plugin configuration
file it should give as parameter to the neutron-server daemon (for
example:
--config-file=etc/neutron/plugins/openvswitch/ovs_neutron_plugin.ini in
the neutron-server command line).

This is a way more simple for our users than manually editing
/etc/default/neutron, *AND* edit /etc/neutron/neutron.conf. Another
benefit is that you don't need to remember the cryptic python class
path. As an example of a python class:

core_plugin=neutron.plugins.openvswitch.ovs_neutron_plugin.OVSNeutronPluginV2

Our users were supposed to manually write this in
/etc/neutron/neutron.conf, then edit /etc/default/neutron to make it so
that the neutron-server init script does:

-config-file=etc/neutron/plugins/openvswitch/ovs_neutron_plugin.ini

So I got rid of all this crap (which is, by the way, still like this in
the Ubuntu package... poor Ubuntu users! :) ), and moved all to
neutron-common, which is why the templates moved to neutron-common.

Also, upstream did a lot of changes to its configuration files. For
example, the database is now configured in the main neutron.conf file,
instead of the plugin one (like ovs_neutron_plugin.ini).
</long explanation of what's going on>

Anyway, I've fixed the package, upgraded to Neutron 2013.2~rc2 at the
same time, ran debconf-updatepo, and uploaded to Experimental. Please
pick-up that new version.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)