[Openstack-devel] backporting python-greenlet??

Hugh Esco hesco at campaignfoundations.com
Fri Jan 24 20:27:40 UTC 2014

Thanks for your response Mr. Goirand.

I investigated and found that my (custom) puppet manifest is already
installing those repo's and keys.  I cleaned out some duplication (W:
Duplicate sources.list entry), and manually inspected the node,
removing the duplicate entries.

I got past my reluctance to do the dist-upgrade I tried to avoid seeing
last time I read those directions and my server has come back up after
the reboot with the key essential legacy services still running, it
seems and no emergency trips to the data center on a Friday required.
Most grateful for that.

Thank you for this, which I had missed in my web searches:
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/install-guide/install/apt-debian/content/index.html

I have been supplementing the rough puppet manifests I've cobbled
together to manage this process based on what I am learning there.

And I then tested again.  Relevant excerpts from the console output is appended below,
along with the contents of the relative puppet manifests.

I chose not to use the puppet forge openstack manifest because It
seemed big and complex and wrapped around another big and complex
animal I still do not understand.  I figured if I built my own manifest
first, it would give me an opportunity to better learn how openstack is
put together.  That seemed useful as I intend to have to administer the
installation as soon as its been built.  I suspect a subsequent
installation might try to take on the additional layer of abstraction
provided by the forge manifest.

In the mean time, I continue to get my errors, summarized here and
reproduced with more context below:

# puppet agent -t 2>&1 > puppet-agent.log

# grep Depends puppet-agent.log | sed "s,^.*: ,," | sort -u
glance-common (= 2013.2.1-2~bpo70+1) but it is not going to be installed
neutron-common (= 2013.2.1-3~bpo70+1) but it is not going to be installed
nova-common (= 2012.1.1-18) but it is not going to be installed
nova-common (= 2013.2.1-2~bpo70+1) but it is not going to be installed

No matter how I chase this dependency chain, I keep coming back to:

Depends: python-greenlet (>= 0.3.2) but 0.3.1-2.5 is to be installed

I would appreciate any ideas on how to resolve this.  Thanks.
If I should build a back port to python-greenlet for this purpose,
would love to contribute it back if that would be helpful and
am open to advice on how to do that in a way which would make it useful.

-- Hugh Esco

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 13:53:17 +0800
Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

> On 01/24/2014 05:27 AM, Hugh Esco wrote:
> > I am building an openstack installation on a debian base install
> > foundation. I have been translating the instructions for Folsom to the
> > Havanna distribution.
> >
> > Attempts to install nova-api or nova-scheduler yield errors
> > related to: nova-common (= 2013.2.1-2~bpo70+1).
> >
> > nova-common wants python-nova (= 2013.2.1-2~bpo70+1)
> >
> > python-nova wants
> > python-greenlet (>= 0.3.2) but 0.3.1-2.5 is to be installed
> >
> > though the upstream developers currently offer 0.4.2.
>
> Hi,
>
> This looks like you don't have a correct sources.list. Please make sure
> you do things the way they are described in the official docs:
> http://docs.openstack.org/havana/install-guide/install/apt-debian/content/basics-packages.html
>
> > The first time I tracked this down I somehow implicated websockify
> > in this dependency chain.  But then I got distracted before sending
> > this letter. Trying to reproduce that work this afternoon I get to
> > here.
> >
> > As memory serves an old version of websockify prevented me from
> > upgrading python-greenlet, but packaging is really something I have not
> > been involved in.  I ran a 1gb vm out of memory following #debian
> > instructions for a backport.  I'm looking for guidance, hoping I am
> > not the first down this road, and that if I am, that there are
> > folks on parralell paths who can point the way.
>
> I'm sure that there's no such a problem with Havana.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Thomas

Hugh Esco
skype: hresco3_ ; 678-921-8186 x21
http://www.CampaignFoundations.com/
Providing Application Hosting, Telephony,
Custom Development and Consulting Services
to Green Candidates, Green Parties and
the non profits working for a just and sustainable future.

# dpkg -l python-greenlet
||/ Name            Version      Architecture Description
++
+-===============-============-============-===================================
ii  python-greenlet 0.3.1-2.5    i386         Lightweight in-process
concurrent p

# apt-get -s install nova-common

 nova-common : Depends: python-nova (= 2013.2.1-2~bpo70+1) but it is not going to be installed

# apt-get -s install python-nova

 python-nova : Depends: python-greenlet (>= 0.3.2) but 0.3.1-2.5 is to be installed
               Depends: websockify (>= 0.5.1) but it is not installable

# apt-get -s install websockify

E: Package 'websockify' has no installation candidate

# apt-get -s install python-greenlet

python-greenlet is already the newest version.
python-greenlet set to manually installed.
  <long list of packages redacted>

# dpkg -l | grep python-greenlet
ii  python-greenlet                      0.3.1-2.5                     i386         Lightweight in-process concurrent programming

# apt-cache show python-greenlet
Package: python-greenlet
Version: 0.3.1-2.5
etc., etc.

# apt-get -s install neutron-common

 neutron-common : Depends: python-neutron (= 2013.2.1-3~bpo70+1) but it is not going to be installed

# apt-get -s install python-neutron

 python-neutron : Depends: python-greenlet (>= 0.3.2) but 0.3.1-2.5 is to be installed

# apt-get -s install glance-common

 glance-common : Depends: python-glance (= 2013.2.1-2~bpo70+1) but it is not going to be installed

# apt-get -s install python-glance

 python-glance : Depends: python-greenlet (>= 0.3.2) but 0.3.1-2.5 is to be installed

# tree hesco_openstack/
hesco_openstack/
├── files
│   ├── etc
│   │   ├── apt
│   │   │   └── sources.list.d
│   │   │       ├── ceph.list
│   │   │       └── openstack-havana.list
│   │   ├── network
│   │   │   └── interfaces.neutron_server
│   │   ├── nova
│   │   │   └── nova.conf
│   │   └── sudoers.d
│   │       └── ceph
│   └── root
│       └── src
│           ├── debian
                my failed attempt to backport python-greenlet
│           ├── python-greenlet_0.4.0-2.debian.tar.gz
│           └── websockify_0.5.1+dfsg1-3_i386.deb
├── manifests
│   ├── apt_sources_list.pp
│   ├── components
│   │   ├── ceph.pp
│   │   ├── compute.pp
│   │   ├── conductor.pp
│   │   ├── keystone
│   │   │   ├── client.pp
│   │   │   └── server.pp
│   │   ├── neutron
│   │   │   ├── client.pp
│   │   │   ├── neutron.pp
│   │   │   └── server.pp
│   │   └── rabbitmq.pp
│   ├── init.pp
│   ├── nodes
│   │   ├── compute_node.pp
│   │   ├── controller_node.pp
│   │   ├── file_store_node.pp
│   │   └── network_node.pp
│   └── sources_list.pp
├── Modulefile
├── README
├── spec
│   └── spec_helper.rb
└── tests
    └── init.pp

19 directories, 50 files

# cat hesco_openstack/files/etc/apt/sources.list.d/*

│   │   │       ├── ceph.list
deb http://ceph.com/debian-emperor/ wheezy main
# deb http://ceph.com/debian wheezy main

│   │   │       └── openstack-havana.list
# deb http://havana.pkgs.enovance.com/debian havana main
deb http://archive.gplhost.com/debian havana-backports main
deb http://archive.gplhost.com/debian havana main

class hesco_openstack::nodes::controller_node {

  # package { 'openstack-proxy-node': ensure => latest, }
  # include mysql ## UNTESTED, uncomment with care
  include hesco_openstack::components::rabbitmq
  include hesco_openstack::components::keystone::server

  package { [ 'python-numpy',
              'liblapack3' ]:
    ensure => latest,
  }

  package { [ 'nova-api',
              'nova-cert',
              'nova-scheduler',
              'nova-conductor',
              'nova-consoleauth',
              'nova-xvpvncproxy',
              'neutron-server',
              'neutron-l3-agent',
              'neutron-dhcp-agent',
              'glance-api',
              'glance-registry',
              'keystone' ]:
     ensure => latest,
#    require => Exec['install-websockify'],
  }

}