[PKG-Openstack-devel] Dependency on ‘python-lockfile’: API breakage in version 0.9

Ben Finney ben+debian at benfinney.id.au
Wed Nov 26 01:29:05 UTC 2014

Howdy,

You are maintaining a package with a dependency on ‘python-lockfile’.
That package will soon upgrade to a backward-incompatible version, and
dependent packages need to accommodate this compatibility breakage.

The ‘lockfile’ upstream changed the API as of version 0.9
<URL:https://code.google.com/p/pylockfile/source/browse/trunk/RELEASE-NOTES>,
and dependent Python code will not work until it uses the current API.

As I see it, there are several actions to take:

* Upload a new version of your package which declares a versioned
  dependency on “python-lockfile (<< 0.9)” to make the API
  incompatibility explicit.

  This informs the dependency manager that the package only works with
  older ‘python-lockfile’ versions, and means the package cannot be
  installed with a newer ‘python-lockfile’.

* Work with your package's upstream to have the code support
  ‘lockfile’'s current API, if it doesn't already. Encourage them to
  release a new version with that support.

* Package the new version in Debian, declaring a dependency on
  “python-lockfile (>= 0.9)”.

If you've already done this, great! Please let me know so that I can
keep track of which packages are affected.

I intend to release ‘python-lockfile’ at version 0.9 or later. I would
prefer to have dependent packages ready for this API change. If you
need help, please ask.

--
 \       “A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me |
  `\                                     at kick boxing.” —Emo Philips |