[PKG-Openstack-devel] [MoM] Packaging manila

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue May 12 09:57:30 UTC 2015

Hi Malihe,

I have a quite formal hint for you.  You seem to use the GMail web
interface for your mails (which is your decision).  This interface is
known to have trouble problems inserting the proper quoting and so
sometimes I see some mix of quoting marks in your responses.  You could
do your fellow readers a favour by doing the following:

  1. <Ctrl>-A  (to mark the whole text)
  2. Click the small Tx icon on the edit control line at the bottom
     to switch to text mode

This will insert proper '> ' strings and you can be safe that the
quotation remains the same at the receiving end as in your mail
composition.  Thanks in advance for this.

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 01:57:38PM +0430, Malihe Asemani wrote:

> > commit 266df93ff2e60659fd7c6092dae73a1a875215b0
> > Author: Malihe Asemani <ml.asemani at gmail.com>
> > Date:   Thu May 7 11:05:06 2015 +0000
> >
> >     Adapt watch file with tag-base-packaging
> >

> > as last commit.
> >
> > OMG! I'm really sorry. I've forgotten to push it! I push it just now.

(Here is an example since this "OMG..." looks as if it would have been
written by me - but it is your text.)

There is no need to OMG - it happens to everybody.  My typical frequency
is about one time per month at least. ;-)

> > Its a valid procedure to temporarily deactivate testing when developing
> > a package.  However, in the end we should approach to run the test suite
> > at build time.
> >
> > uhum. Thanks for comment :)

(same quotation problem here - so please use text mode when composing
mails to this list)

> > Seems you are using debuild / gbp on your local machine and not with
> > sbuild.
>
> I use all of these three ways to build the package.
> It helps me to find out is the problem related to building the package, or
> it is related to other processes like some special openstack or gbp process.

OK.  With your commits I'm now able to build up to the failed test as
well.  Seems we are in sync now which is another good thing to have.

> > Please replace this by the python-oslo.* packages.  May be you just did
> > so and simply forgot to push?
> >
> > Yes. I've done it. and it is pushed now :P

:-)

> > Try `lintian -i` (as well as the relevant severity levels since P is not
> > default but helpful anyway) if you need a more detailed explanation what
> > this means and how to fix it.  As always feel free to ask if something
> > remains unclear.
> >
> > let me dig into that. I need time

You have time.  We follow the "Its ready when its ready approach".

> > The good thing is, that you now *have* a package at least which is some
> > point we can continue working from. :-)
> >
> > Yeap. Exactly :)

:-)

> > Looks as if pkgos tools also do the backporting here.  While this is
> > nice it does not bring us forward in *learning* how to package.  May be
> > it makes sense to skip this somehow for the moment to save time and come
> > back once we are successful with a package for unstable.
> >
> > Uhum. Agree.

So may be you go with `gbp buildpackage` for the testing process and
switch later to pkgos-* tools.  This should be possible since I've got
the same build result this way.

> > manila.tests.share.drivers.netapp.dataontap.cluster_mode.test_lib_multi_svm
> >
> > Hmmmm.  I admit this goes beyond my knowledge.  May be Debian Openstack
> > people could give a hint here or you might ask upstream.  It might
> > mean a missing (Build-)Dependency (either packaged or missing).
> >
> > good hint. I will check Dependencies again.

It even could be a *versioned* dependency that might lead to the
problem.  My hint also went into the direction:  Try to find a proper
forum and ask.  I could even imagine that "waiting" is a succesful
approach since Thomas is way more competent in this field than me
and he is quite responsive here.

> > Kind regards and nice that you are making progress
>
> Thank you for helping me to make some progress :)

You are welcome (as promised)

     Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de