[PKG-Openstack-devel] first install notes - debconf inconsistencies in neutron-metadata-agent etc

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Jun 7 08:27:46 UTC 2016

On 06/06/2016 03:10 PM, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
>> The one you will want to run... ;) You need to understand how Neutron
>> works, and select the type of networking you'll use: VXLan, Linux
>> bridge, GRE tunneling, SR-IOV are things you need to decide on.
>
> :).
>
> Any link to where i can read up on that?

The usual docs.openstack.org should contain some nice info.

>> Well, since you didn't understand that nova-compute needs to be setup to
>> run Ironic, your installation must be quite wrong. I'd suggest reading
>> more docs.
>
> Feel free to link me to one that's actually up to date and in a language
> that's easy to understand AND talks about the different options..

You can read here:
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ironic/deploy/user-guide.html

and here:
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ironic/deploy/install-guide.html

>>> Can Magnum and Nova work on the same [physical] host?
>>
>> I don't know.
>
> Who might now?

You can ask in #openstack-containers in Freenode, or in the OpenStack
user list (ie: openstack at lists.openstack.org).

> Last chance to get rid of me :D

It's perfectly fine to ask, and I'm happy to answer. Don't go away! :)

> After starting to at least have a glimmer of idea what everything is,
> and how they work together, I started looking at logs (in more detail!! :)
> and actually started to understand what they're where saying. So after
> basically purging and then installing most of the service packages, I'm
> now down to a measly 0.53 in load :D
>
> I'm pretty sure that means I have a reasonably solid base to build on.

You, you're slowly getting there. Don't give-up, OpenStack *does* take
some time to grasp. It's long to understand, then setup correctly, but
once it's up, it's really amazingly nice.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)