[PKG-Openstack-devel] Destroying (reinstalling) a Nova node?

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Jun 8 08:36:01 UTC 2016

On 06/07/2016 11:40 PM, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> I've been setting up a PXE environment that don't asks
> question to install my 14 (+ additional 16 once I find
> somewhere else than the second bedroom to put my hardware
> in :) Nova (+Magnum?) nodes.
>
> There where some manual handholding and configuration etc
> on there after PXE+D-I finished, so now I'd like to blow
> that host away and start from scratch to verify that it
> works before I do the other 13..
>

> Because I asked it to register the service in Keystone,
> created a database in the shared MySQL DB (running on
> the single - for the moment - Controller node), I'm unsure
> if I can just blow it away.
>
> It will reuse the passwords, IP addresses (hardcoded mac2ip
> in my DHCP server) etc, so I don't foresee any problem, but
> you never know..
>

> Btw, am I correct in assuming that I need/should install
> the following packages on the Compute?
>
> 	nova-compute-kvm nova-console nova-scheduler \
> 	nova-api magnum-api magnum-common magnum-conductor

# apt-cache show openstack-compute-node
Package: openstack-compute-node
[...]
Depends: ceilometer-agent-compute, neutron-plugin-openvswitch-agent,
nova-cert, nova-compute, nova-compute-kvm | nova-compute-qemu, novnc,
ntp, openstack-pkg-tools

You don't need nova-scheduler in every compute nodes, neither the
nova-api package. That's typically installed once in your control plane.

Same for magnum-api and magnum-conductor.

Never, you need to manually install a *-common package, it's always
pulled by some dependencies. So don't bother with them.

As for removing packages, if you *purge* it, it will also remove all of
the debconf answers. Also, answers to the db and api endpoints are
always gone away after the package is installed, and will always be
prompted again. Last, if you want to preseed (ie: pre-answer the prompts
before isntalling), the openstack-deploy package contains a preseed
library that you can reuse.

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)