[PKG-Openstack-devel] Status?

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Jul 10 13:25:14 UTC 2017

I don't think I'll be able to help much, though I still hope my comments
will be useful.

On 07/10/2017 09:36 AM, Ondrej Novy wrote:
> My plan is:
>
>   * organize OpenStack sprint at DebCamp/Debconf
>     2017: https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2017/OpenStack
>   * move non-openstack packages to other teams (example: python-pint ->
>     DPMT), explain in README how to carefully upgrade this packages (for
>     example check global requirements in OpenStack)

As I wrote previously, moving packages to other team wont help if nobody
is volunteering for the maintenance. Also, anyone can join the OpenStack
PKG team. The only thing will be that you'll be forced into using
git-dpm, which everyone recognize as super bad. So what are you trying
to achieve here?

>   * create brand new repositories in alioth from current version in
>     Debian Archive with "gbp pq" + pristine-tar layout, compare with
>     current repository states in Gerrit

The issue with pristine tar, is that, from upstream, they contain the
AUTHOR file, which is of no interest (we care who is the copyright
holder, not the authorship), and the huge changelog based on git
history. I've been already flamed by the FTP masters because small
packages like nova-compute-* became insanely huge (ie: megs instead of
kbytes). So, you'll have to upload modified +dfsg tarballs, which
completely defeat the purpose of using pristine-tar. That with the other
issue that pristine-tar is by design broken (because tar doesn't produce
the same output from version to version, and same for XZ).

So, why not keeping the workflow we had before switching to infra?

>   * use one branch per Debian release, don't try to have "more supported
>     version of OS in Debian stable"

That you do not wish to support each and every release of OpenStack in
Debian is one thing, but then you must at least provide an installable
version so that users have an upgrade path. And then, one branch per
OpenStack release is mandatory.

Though I would strongly suggest that if you want to maintain OpenStack
seriously in Debian, you do package each and every version of OpenStack,
and if possible very beta release as well. Otherwise, what will happen
is what is happening right now: loads of RC bugs get filled, because the
Python suite evolves (Django 1.10, Python 3.6, etc) and you got to stay
current.

Hoping the above helps,
Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)