[Openstack-devel] Which version of OpenStack should we package?

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Sun Nov 27 11:20:32 UTC 2011

On 11/26/2011 08:53 PM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 26 2011, ghe. rivero wrote:
>
>>     with wheezy froze in June, i think that the best target to package
>> should be essex (2012-1) which will be released in April. But, with wheezy
>> release 6 months later (February 2013), wheezy will be released with 2
>> versions behind of openstack. In a so fasting moving environment (3
>> releases per year), Debian releases every 2 years is a real handicap.
>
> I agree with Ghe. We should aim Essex for wheezy.

I agree with that plan for Wheezy, but it's irrelevant for what I was
asking for.

What I was asking for was to have Openstack (and in this case, Nova) be
usable *now*, so we would package only the stable version in SID. I
believe Essex is a good candidate for Experimental right now, but not
for SID.

Now, we're stuck with OpenStack unstable being packaged in Debian, with
no choice but to wait until next April to get something stable, and in
the mean time, we'll be continuously packaging Essex, which will be a
moving target with constantly new features. That's really not an idea
situation for anyone willing to implement Openstack using our Debian
packaging right now!

Thomas