[Openstack-devel] No master branch for Swift

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Mon Nov 28 07:54:36 UTC 2011

On 11/26/2011 08:56 PM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 26 2011, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>
>> There's no master branch at all at:
>> ssh://git.debian.org/git/openstack/swift.git
>>
>> there's only a debian/unstable. Julien, can you fix that?
>
> Yes and no. I can but there's no point to push the master branch here,
> so I would not. If you want it, just add the upstream remote and fetch
> it. :)
>
>     git remote add upstream git://github.com/openstack/swift.git
>     git fetch upstream
>     git branch --track master upstream/master
>     git checkout master
>
> That's it.
>
>> In the mean while, I'm building locally after doing "git checkout -b
>> master", then deleting the debian folder...
>
> You really want to upstream remote then. :)

The issue with doing this, is that you may build a package that works
once, but then if upstream code changes, it may stop to build. I think
that for this reason, it's a way better to store the master branch on
Alioth, then when *WE* decide, we do a pull from upstream.

Don't you think that's reasonable to do this way?

Thomas