[Openstack-devel] Note worthy package: XCP

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Wed Jan 4 14:06:08 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 09:26:51PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > I'd therefore dare to propose something a bit more bold of what you
> > propose here (although not incompatible with it): a press release along
> > the lines of "deploy your own clouds with Debian". Some of the topics
> > that could fit in are:
>
> I wonder if that might backfire, other distros seem to have more cloud
> stuff, for example Ubuntu has their Juju/Ensemble thing and OpenSUSE
> has Eucalyptus, OpenNebula, OpenStack and ownCloud.

Well, we're not in the business of saying "we're better than other";
also, we don't care about market shares. So I don't see how stating
factual truths about what's available in Debian (as we did, say, with
[1] or more back in time with [2]) could backfire.

People will of course be free to say « look at those late-comers to the
party », but they could do that anyway, no matter the press release.
And, with the press release, we'd still have the benefit of having
informed Debian users of new available stuff and called for testing
about it.

Cheers.

[1] http://www.debian.org/News/2011/20110623
[2] http://www.debian.org/News/2004/20040506