[Openstack-devel] OpenStack Fundation

Stefano Zacchiroli leader at debian.org
Tue Feb 7 08:45:27 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 12:28:08AM +0100, Loic Dachary wrote:
> > I'm in contact with Stefano, but rather to work on some public statement
> > we're working on together (see the archives of the debian-publicity
> > mailing list for some references).
>
> I would be grateful if you could link a specific post. I looked for
> Maffulli in the jan / feb archives without success.

I'm writing this offline so I can't have a direct link, but the
Message-Id starting the thread is <20120104123834.GA2929 at upsilon.cc>,
you can look it up in gmane or in the lists.d.o search engine.

> A few weeks ago I discussed the idea that a cross distribution group
> is formed within OpenStack, much in the same way development teams are
> currently organized. It was decided that there is no need for a formal
> team and that cooperation should be organized outside of the influence
> of the OpenStack governance.
<snip>
> I will attend the OpenStack Design Summit in April (
> http://www.openstack.org/conference/san-francisco-2012/ ) and I hope
> it will be an occasion to maintain a close and productive relationship
> with the upstream. My primary goal will be to explain, as clearly as I
> can, the requirements of Debian GNU/Linux for packaging OpenStack. Our
> work is much easier when the upstream is aware of our needs. A little
> evangelism at the early stages of this project may make a significant
> difference in the future.

The above sounds *great* and I'll be happy to see Debian take part in
it. Being entirely at the technical level, it would have been something
where I'd have simply pointed people from OpenStack and other distro to
the relevant maintainers in Debian. As it seems you're on that topic
already, it's one thing less I need to worry about :-)

> At FOSDEM I talked about the making of the OpenStack foundation with
> Stefano Maffulli and my understaning is that it's happening. Nothing
> seems to be carved in stone yet and maybe SPI can be a founding
> member. I don't think that would require a financial contribution
> since SPI is a non profit. What do you think ? I can try to find out
> more if you like.

This is really a question for SPI, I'm afraid. We're in very good
relationships with SPI but I'm not on the SPI board and I can't speak
for them. I suggest you contact them mailing the SPI board; feel free to
keep me in the loop.

Cheers.