[Oval-devel] New version of oval-interpreter 5.7.1 introduce possible-gpl-code-linked-with-openssl warning

Javier Fernandez-Sanguino jfs at debian.org
Tue May 18 13:43:27 UTC 2010

El día 18 de mayo de 2010 06:34, Pavel Vinogradov
<Pavel.Vinogradov at nixdev.net> escribió:
>  Hello.
>
> I'm just work on packaging latest oval-interpreter version 5.7.1 to
> include in Debian.
> This version will fix serious bug #548460

Great, thanks for your work.

> New version of ovaldi introduce dependency on libssl package. This
> dependency is used in Digest.[h|cpp] code.

We have to remove that dependency. The lintian warning is correct: if
there is not OpenSSL exemption we cannot link to it. The only
alternatives for this kind of issue are (in order of preference):

a) get upstream to add the license exemption
b) make it support GNU TLS library and compile it with it instead
c) remove the code that introduces the dependency (maybe through #ifdef)

> Did anybody have any suggestion about fixing this issue or i must
> escalate this issue to official oval-devel maillist?

In order to get a)  done it needs to be escalated upstream. We could
investigate b) and c) in the meantime.

Regards

Javier