[Parl-user] Use of Debian in European Commission

Jacques.Verraes at ec.europa.eu Jacques.Verraes at ec.europa.eu
Wed May 7 06:02:03 UTC 2014

Dear Jonas,

Further to our discussions on the use of Debian in the European  Commission, I obtained from the DG DIGIT managed IT HELPDESK a help request with ticket nr IM0012717721 - by mid March with the request to sum up our thoughts on the issue if the use of Debian.
I posted this early April on this user group with request for contribution to be forwarded to Commission IT HELPDESK. See below

I did not spot any contribution.

It is a pity since this is a chance to interact with a receptive and interested competent and authoritative institutional body on the merits of the use of Debian.

I was prompted again this week by HELPDESK inquiring whether I had summary of arguments / info ready.

Can you give me something for the end if this week to send to them so that we can interact on a series of propositions?

Thanks,

Jaap

Sent from my iPhone

The issues was that I had sent a suggestion to explore the use of Open Source/Debian code in the Commission  “I received the invitation below from the EP. It is about a presentation on 5 March (14h00-16h00<x-apple-data-detectors://5> in room A5G1 of the EP) of an open source software project (customised Debian) in the European parliament offering better encryption / confidentiality and increased protection against hacking and eavesdropping. You will, most likely, be informed but if not, I thought that it could be interesting for you”
I spoke with a colleague at the IT Helpdesk who replied on behalf of the Helpdesk “Referring to our discussion over the phone, please get back to us with an email in which you sum all your thoughts up.
We will then forward it to the appropriate team.”

My question to you: I assume that you do have something ready that I could send the helpdesk to help it to consider the merits of Debian-based open source software. Can you send me something that I can forward to the Helpdesk in reply to its request? I will duly reference the source of course.
Furthermore, I inquired with the IT helpdesk of Commission on the use