[parted-devel] notes about parted-1.8.1

Otavio Salvador otavio at debian.org
Mon Dec 4 18:12:36 CET 2006

Anant Narayanan <anant at kix.in> writes:

>> I *never* could find anything in the git documentation to explicitly
>> check out a tag.  The only documentation I can find explains how to tag,
>> but not check out a specific tag.
>>
>> How do you do this?
>
> If you use cogito (which I highly recommend), you can do:

I personally prefer git itself.

You can checkout it on the stable-1.8.x itself (but it's not very
useful) doing:

$: git checkout stable-1.8.x
$: git reset --hard v1.8.1
$: git checkout -f

The easier and also more flexible way of doing something useful with a
tag is to use a branch created using it for hacking and then merging
it back to stable-1.8.x later. e.g:

$: git checkout -b bug-1234 v1.8.1
HACK! HACK! HACK!
$: git commit -a
$: git checkout stable-1.8.x
$: git pull . bug-1234

But again, the better is to use stable-1.8.x as origin. You can even
use the tags to bisect the changeset looking for when a regression was
include. Check git-bisect if you need it sometime later.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 GNU/Linux User: 239058     GPG ID: 49A5F855