[parted-devel] Call for organization

Otavio Salvador otavio at debian.org
Sat Dec 9 17:10:27 CET 2006

Anant Narayanan <anant at kix.in> writes:

>> Iff it doesn't use that kinda of "framework" I'm not favoured to merge
>> it.
>
> I differ on that opinion. libparted is a system-level library and does
> not deserve to use SWIG at all. The only real way to write python
> bindings for something like libparted is to write it by hand in plain
> old C. SWIG is great for some high-level libraries like SQLite or
> GStreamer, but not for something like libparted.
>
> Here's how I see it: we make the one-to-one bindings in plain C, like
> how it was meant to be done (the "python handbook" way). The OO bindings
> can then import that module and can be written in Python itself.

Anant, I just don't see why is bad to use something to make our work
easier?

If it can't be SWIG, no problem, we can choose another tool for it or
even write something that grab a description file and write the code
for us or something like it. If it'll be one-to-one mapping it
shouldn't be impossible to do.

Looks very impressive to me the http://www.swig.org/tutorial.html and
simple to maintain and extend. Why do you think that is too bad to
have swig being used for it?

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 GNU/Linux User: 239058     GPG ID: 49A5F855