[parted-devel] Licensing

Ithamar Adema ithamar at unet.nl
Fri Feb 10 19:48:54 UTC 2006

Hi Again ;)

First of all, this question is not to start a flame war, just to see
iwhy this decision was made. I was wondering, why parted is GPL and
not LGPL?

LGPL seems like a logical choice, at least for libparted, which might
make it more used and will still guarantee that any modifications are
submitted back.

(Ok, I'll be honest, I might know an interested party, which would
spend significant hours of development / testing, but since it would
be used in a comercial closed-source product, libparted is currently
not a real option).

Regards,

Ithamar.