[parted-devel] Is XFS with Parted possible?

leslie.polzer at gmx.net leslie.polzer at gmx.net
Fri Sep 1 10:49:45 UTC 2006

Hello Chris,

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 01:02:19PM -0400, Chris Hane wrote:

> I am trying to create a 3.2TB partition on my Raid 5. Is there a
> document that could help?
I don't know of any.

> If this is not the correct forum for a question of this nature, please
> point me in the right direction.
Feel home :)

> I am running linux 2.6.16 with the 3ware drivers compiled into the
> kernel.
Which version of GNU Parted are you working with?

> 1. PARTED
>
> I've tried to use parted without any success. Here is what I've tried
> and the errors I get.
>
> > parted
>
> parted> mklabel gpt mkpart primary 0 3500GB quit
>
> ok - the partition now exists. If I use ext2 everything works ok.
>
> however, when I run
>
> > mkfs.xfs /dev/sda1
>
> the file system is formated but is truncated to to 2TB.
>
> Also, when I run parted again, I get the following error:
>
> > parted
>
>   Error: Invalid Argument during seek for read on /dev/sda1
>
>   The primary GPT table is corrupt, but the backup appears ok, so that
>   will be used
This problem might go away with GNU Parted 1.8, which will be released
in a few days.

> After I exit parted and mount the partition I get an unable to mount
> error due to bad superblock error.
That's natural.

> 2. FDISK
>
> I've tried fdisk on the array to create the partition; but it forces
> me enter the number of cylinders before letting me create the
> partition.
What do you mean by that?  Does it want the end of the partition to be
created in cylinders, or the number of sectors/heads per cylinder?

> Once the partition is created this way, I can mkfs.xfs; but I'm a
> little hesitant to use this since I input and arbitrary cylinder
> number.
I gather you are using an MS-DOS partition table, if you are working
with fdisk?

> Thoughts on what to use for the correct cylinder count with fdisk?
Use parted in "unit chs" mode to find a sane setting.

  Leslie

--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DD4EBF83
http://nic-nac-project.de/~skypher/