[parted-devel] partition ordering in parted

leslie.polzer at gmx.net leslie.polzer at gmx.net
Mon Sep 4 10:50:22 UTC 2006

On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 09:11:24PM -0500, Andrew Gaffney wrote:

> [If you get this twice, don't kill me. I sent the first one 5.5
> hours ago, and I haven't seen it hit the list, yet. There was also
> a ~30 minute delay in my local postfix server delivering it to
> lists.alioth.debian.org, which tells me there's something up with the
> mail server.]
FYI, It arrived twice.

> Until libparted provides a facility for sorting partitions by disk
> order, I'm going to have to go ahead and emulate the current behavior
> in the Gentoo Installer.
Why emulate it?  Why not just add this functionality to libparted?

> With msdos disklabels, it seems that if you have 3 primary partitions,
> and you remove the 2nd one, the old 3rd one will still be minor 3. Is
> this correct?
Yes.

> This is also only for primary partitions, right? With
> logicals, "holes" in the sequence of minor numbers are filled in? Is
> everything with a higher minor number just dropped down one,
Yes.

> or are the minor numbers reworked to be in disk order?
No, absolutely not.

> With any other disklabel, is the behavior similar to logicals in a
> msdos disklabel (ignoring partitions such as the whole disk on sun and
> mips disklabels)?
That is likely, but do not bet on it.  Take a few minutes of time and
check it out.

> Is this behavior likely to change in near future versions of libparted?
Depends on you :)

  Apart from that, there are no plans to change anything there.

  Leslie

--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DD4EBF83
http://nic-nac-project.de/~skypher/