[parted-devel] patches pile up, etc

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Wed Jan 10 22:19:49 CET 2007

Hey everyone,

I disappeared for a few weeks around Christmas.  Had some family stuff
to deal with and was disconnected longer than I wanted from a computer.
  I have been catching up with work since I've been back and now have
things back under some level of control.

I have a pile of patches to review and integrate for parted-1.8.x.  If
you have anything you want reviewed for inclusion in the next 1.8.x
release, send it my way.

Otavio pointed me to a problem Debian is seeing on systems that also
have Windows Vista installed.  Apparently the version of NTFS shipping
with Vista uses a different bytes/sector than previous NTFS versions, so
when we align things, libparted then breaks the Windows installation.  I
want to fix this, but I can't find a copy of Windows Vista.  I may just
wait until it is released, but if anyone has a beta or something that we
can test with, that would be helpful.  I'm interested in fixing this in
1.8.x as well as the edge branch.

In addition to all of that, I received an email from FOSDEM
coordinators.  They responded to a message I had sent a while ago now
regarding talking about parted development at FOSDEM.  While it's not
interesting to enough people to be a keynote, they have offered me a
Lightning Talk session.  This is a 15 minute presentation in the large
room with 300+ people.  The goal is to expose what we are doing
currently in parted development, our ideas, and other topics to make
people more aware of the project and what we are doing.  And we may be
able to get some more interested people to help.

FOSDEM is held in Brussels, Belgium at the end of February.
www.fosdem.org for more information.

I am going to prepare a presentation for FOSDEM based on our recent
development discussions.  I'd like everyone here to comment on it,
provide input, and so on, so I'll email here when I have something ready.

That's me.  Hope everyone else is doing well.

--
David Cantrell
Red Hat / Westford, MA