[parted-devel] Proposal: Rewrite of Parted UI

Sadrul H Chowdhury imadil at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 16:00:26 CET 2007

On 1/16/07, Anant Narayanan <anant at kix.in> wrote:

> > I would like to discuss a proposal for Parted 2.0. I think we should
> > rewrite the Parted UI application.
> >
> > Current code has a lot of problems and should be refactored but while
> > I was looking at it and talking to David on IRC we thought that could
> > be better to rewrite it.
>
> Yes, it would be great to rewrite the UI. However, we will be pushing
> back the release of 2.0 by atleast a month. If that's not a problem;
> I'll all for a rewrite :)
>
> We should start a Wiki page to discuss the implementation details of this.

Hi. I would like to re-suggest libgnt for this (re:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/parted-devel/2006-December/000565.htmland
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/parted-devel/2006-December/000775.html).
Since my initial commitment, I have not been able to spend much time on
this. However, I have started writing a brief tutorial for using this
library, which I hope to be able to complete soon. Once the documentation is
there, it may attract more contributing developers. And once Gaim 2.0 is out
of the way, I may also finally find some time to work on gntparted. In the
meantime, it would be most awesome if the existing code attracts someone
from this list to give it a go! :-)

For possible alternatives, you may also want to consider TWin (
http://linuz.sns.it/~max/twin/index.shtml). I have never used it, and I am
not sure if some large projects use it. But it looks really cool.

Cheers,
Sadrul