[parted-devel] help2man

Debarshi Ray debarshi.ray at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 17:50:18 CET 2007

Going through the entire debate, here is what I think would be the
best thing to do. This is infact quite similar to Otavio

Have the configure script find out whether po4a is present or not. If
it is absent then say so and only build the canonical English version
of the documentation. Now in case it is present then we can have two
scenarios. Either we build all the available languages, or we only
build a particular language specified by the user as a parameter to
the configure script. The default behavior could be to make all
languages if po4a is there, and only stick to a particular language
(even English) if one is specified to the configure script. Hopefully
this will not frustrate the distributors, since they can easily
restrict the documentation to a particular language (even English) or
let all available languages be present.

Now what happens when a user had asked for a specific language and the
system does not have po4a to make the translations? The configure
script can output a message and either stop there, or continue to
build the English version which does not need po4a.

To top it all, we can also provide an option to completely avoid
installation of any documentation. This must not be a default
behaviour, since it only makes sense in the case of LiveCDs and
installers where storage space is a scarcity.

Does this make sense?

Happy hacking,
Debarshi
--
After the game the king and the pawn go into the same box.
                -- Italian proverb