[parted-devel] Patch: Be more conservative about modifying the disk

Joel Granados jgranado at redhat.com
Wed Nov 19 10:47:09 UTC 2008

Hi Matthew:

You have a point here.  What still bothers me is that the user will constantly have to tell parted.  "yes, I know that the gpt table is not where its suppose to be, ignore please"

I confess that I could not think of a good solution for this issue of the top of my head.  The only thing I could think of is to "fix" the position of the table without erasing the previous one.  But then you would have problems with the synchronization of the three.  You may also have an issue of overlapping lists.

Regards.
----- "Matthew S. Harris" <mharris312 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I actually wrote this patch back in April 2007 when I was trying to
> get Parted to parse EFI GPT labels written by OpenSolaris ZFS.  As
> you
> can tell from the change description, Parted was messing up my
> partitions.
>
> - Linux was seeing my partitions as being a different size than
> OpenSolaris was, and Parted was a bit too eager to "fix" things.
>
> - Parted was computing the CRC differently than OpenSolaris was
> (though I fixed this in another change last year), and again Parted
> was a bit too eager to "fix" it.
>
> I haven't touched Parted since then, but I've been wanting to get
> this
> off my plate.
>
> Thanks!
>

> Matthew