[parted-devel] GNU fdisk 1.2 release

Christian mail.kristian at yahoo.it
Thu Jan 22 19:27:26 UTC 2009

I am happy to announce the release of GNU fdisk 1.2

GNU fdisk aims to replace various UNIX operating systems' legacy
partitioning tools with libparted-based ones that mimic the
interface of those tools.

Currently implemented alternatives are:

  * util-linux `fdisk'
  * util-linux `cfdisk'

Both versions have a compability mode and a GNU mode
that offers additional features.

NEWS
====

In this release we have fixed some of the bugs reported
by debian tracker. For more information about fixed bugs
see:

  * inoperable for disks with unknown disklabel

      This bug was fixed in the previous release (1.1).
      We are waiting for comments because we test it only
      with plain (zero filled) files.

  * gnu-fdisk: wipes out MBR when used on GPT partitions

    I make a little patch to reread the boot code from the partition.
    for more info visit:

     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-parted/2008-12/msg00015.html

  * gnu-fdisk: reproducible Segmentation fault

    Fixed in this release (1.2).

  * gnu-fdisk doesn't work with ext3 partitions, created with Debian and
    Ubuntu installers (with resize_inode features)]

    We think that this bug depends on libparted. However we will
    try to resolve it soon and release a patch.

Download
========

Gzipped and b2zipped tarballs are available from

  ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/fdisk/

and its mirror sites. SHA1 sums may be found there as well.

The web site of GNU fdisk is at:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/fdisk/

Contributing

You can help fdisk by

  * testing and using the existing frontends

  * developing more frontends (e.g. for Mac fdisk or util-linux sfdisk)

  Leslie P. Polzer <polzer at gnu.org>
  Christian Brunello <mail.kristian at yahoo.it>

  GNU fdisk Maintainer's