[parted-devel] Strange linux-swap name change

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Sun Jul 12 23:14:45 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 11:29:01PM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
> Thanks for doing that.
> Note that your aliases apply to strings read from
> a file system, not from the command line interface:
>
>     $ ./parted -s $dev mkfs 1 "linux-swap(v1)"
>     $ ./parted -s $dev mkfs 1 "linux-swap(new)"
>     ./parted: invalid token: linux-swap(new)
>     Error: Expecting a file system type.
>     [Exit 1]
>
> If you were to make them apply also to the UI,
> then no one could complain at all, but it's not a big deal.

That's odd; this was definitely not as intended, and I can't reproduce
this, even with the commit you recently pushed (thanks!).

  $ parted/parted -s t.img mkfs 1 'linux-swap(new)'
  [0] filesys.c:147 (ped_file_system_type_get): File system alias linux-swap(new) is deprecated

The parted UI seems to use ped_file_system_type_get, which definitely
ought to do file system alias lookups given my patch, so I don't see
where this could be going wrong. What am I missing?

Thanks,