[parted-devel] discrepancy in the guid value used by libparted for fat/ntfs filesystems

rahul dev rahul_dev_agg at yahoo.co.in
Fri Jul 17 04:51:09 UTC 2009

Guys,

  I am using "parted-1.8.1". I noticed one dicrepancy between the guid value used for fat/ntfs filesystems by parted and windows.

libparted uses "PARTITION_MSFT_RESERVED_GUID" for ntfs/fat filesystems, whereas windows uses "PARTITION_BASIC_DATA_GUID" for these filesystems.

I looked at the wiki for GUID partition table "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table". Wiki also says that windows uses "PARTITION_BASIC_DATA_GUID" for their data partitions (ntfs/fat etc).

Can someone please have a look at this. Is libparted using incorrect guid for fat/ntfs filesystems ?

thanks,
rahul

      Love Cricket? Check out live scores, photos, video highlights and more. Click here http://cricket.yahoo.com