[parted-devel] Parted Stuff that needs fixing before 1.8.9

Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Thu Jun 4 15:16:51 UTC 2009

----- "Joel Granados" <jgranado at redhat.com> a écrit :

> > > Scratch that.  I think 7 should not go in.  That addition to the
> > > documentation is unnecessary.  The docs already say that primary,
> > > logical and extended are _only_ supported in msdos and dhv type
> > > partitions.  This already informs that sun labels do not support
> > > primary.
> > >
> > It is not exactly what I show, looking at
> >
> http://git.debian.org/?p=parted/parted.git;a=blob;f=doc/parted.texi;h=936a1f615bfcbb7380720ed7e61963d48af3f373;hb=master
> >
> > @var{part-type} is one of: primary, extended, logical.  Extended
> > and logical are only used for msdos and dvh disk labels.
>
> My question here is: How does this imply that sun labels support
> primary, extended or logical?  If it were to imply that, I would
> think that we need a clarification. But I clearly see that it says "only
> used for msdos and dvh disk labels.".  If this implies something, its that
> sun labels are not to use primary, logical or extended.
>
> Can you pls expand on your resoning...

Just change so
@var{part-type} is one of: primary, extended, logical.  Primary, extended
and logical are only used for msdos and dvh disk labels.

Not everybody has your knowledge and know that primary, extended, logical are narrowly linked stuff.
By saying only 'Extended and logical' are not used for msdos..., you let poor simple man as me fall into the trap.

Gilles