[parted-devel] resizing FAT partitions does not work at all

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Wed Sep 23 17:19:15 UTC 2009

Before committing to support FAT file system resizing,
I wanted to write a few tests.  So far, I've been stumped.
I've used the test script below, invoking it like this,
on an old 64MB USB key:

  sudo env DEVICE_TO_ERASE=/dev/sdd DEVICE_TO_ERASE_SIZE=66.0MB \
    ./t3000*.sh --debug --verbose

But it always fails with this:

    * expecting success: parted -s $dev resize 1 50s 71000s
    Error: Could not detect file system.

That's not so bad, and may well be due to my >512-byte sector changes
breaking the FS-recognition code.  However, even when I tried to resize
using Fedora's parted-1.8.8-17.fc11.x86_64, it still fails consistently.

I tried this, against the partition table and FS created by the test:

    for i in $(seq 70100 3 71000); do \
      echo $i; parted /dev/sdd resize 1 50s ${i}s && break; done

For every single iteration, it failed with this diagnostic:

    No Implementation: GNU Parted cannot resize this partition to this size.\
    We're working on it!

Does anyone use parted's FAT resizing capability?
For now, I'm going to assume "No" and remove it.

Speak up if you can demonstrate that parted's FAT resizing works.