[parted-devel] kde crash within gprated ext3 resize-up (the move phase)

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Thu May 6 06:18:36 UTC 2010

Jan Rohacek wrote:

> Hi, did you ever solve recovery problem like this?
>
> The parted was interrupted within ext3 resize-up process.
>
> The parted shrinked (455GB to 435GB) the partition successfully but the next
> phase – move the partition up (by 20GB) was interrupted because of kde crash.
>
> How the parted algorithm move the partition?

GNU parted is not capable of moving a partition
into a position that overlaps with the original,
so I suspect you are using "gparted", a different tool,
that *is* capable of doing what you describe.

It just so happens that Curtis Gedak described
gparted's move algorithm just a couple weeks ago:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.parted.devel/3301/focus=3304

> Which recovery procedure is the best?

I'd start by trying to determine how far the move proceeded
before it was interrupted.  You'll probably have to write code to
compare src/dest sectors until you find a pair that differs.
Once you know that, you may be able to complete the task.