[parted-devel] [Parted-maintainers] Debian Bug #578097: No support for CMS-formatted disks

Stephen Powell zlinuxman at wowway.com
Tue May 11 21:50:34 UTC 2010

Now that CMS minidisk support on CKD DASD using the ECKD driver is
working, there are three remaining frontiers:  CMS minidisk support on
FBA DASD using the FBA driver, CMS minidisk support on either
CKD or FBA DASD using the DIAG driver, and LDL disk support on CKD
DASD using the DIAG driver.  If I can get those three things
working, then parted on the s390 architecture will support all DASD devices
and all drivers supported by the Linux kernel on the s390 architecture,
which of course is the ultimate goal.  (CMS format is the only format
supported on FBA DASD by the Linux kernel.  CDL and LDL both require
CKD DASD.)

I don't have any FBA DASD with which to test.  However, z/VM can
emulate FBA DASD by using something called "Virtual Disks in Storage".
That should be good enough.  I have no idea whether or not I will
be successful.  I may have bitten off more than I can chew.  But I'm
going to give it the good old college try, and we'll see what happens.
Maybe I'll get lucky.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :