[parted-devel] marking a filesystem ID with parted

Teresa e Junior teresaejunior at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 05:24:30 UTC 2010

Hello! Firstly, I was in doubt to which mailing list I should ask this question!

I need to implement disk partitioning in an application written by me. I know I
should change de ID of the partition with something like "sfdisk --id" before
running mkfs*, but `man sfdisk' says:

       sfdisk  doesn't  understand  GUID  Partition  Table (GPT) and it is not
       designed for large partitions. In particular case use more advanced GNU
       parted(8).

and when running `parted mkfs [...]':

WARNING: you are attempting to use parted to operate on (mkfs) a file system.
parted's file system manipulation code is not as robust as what you'll find in
dedicated, file-system-specific packages like e2fsprogs.  We recommend
you use parted only to manipulate partition tables, whenever possible.
Support for performing most operations on most types of file systems
****will be removed in an upcoming release.****

sfdisk tells me not to use it, and parted too! I just want to set the ID of the
filesystem and, since I should expect users with different kinds of hardware,
what is recommended then? I tried to get the output from GParted, but it does
not tell how it does so.

Best regards!
Teresa and Junior