[parted-devel] marking a filesystem ID with parted

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Wed Nov 17 18:52:47 UTC 2010

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 11/16/2010 11:16 PM, Jim Meyering wrote:
>> I chose not to mention of the ability to do it with other
>> partition table types -- too many caveats.  No rope sales
>> from me, nor noose-tying lessons ;-)
>
> I think telling people to delete and re-create partitions instead is
> probably worse, though.  This isn't about exotic filesystems -- this
> applies to ext4, for example.

Back to the initial question, yes, a few new features would be welcome,
say, new sub-commands to do these:

  - set the partition type bits, partition table type permitting

  - set disk and partition GUIDs, at least on GPT

  - resize a partition without regard to its contents

Adding these for only MSDOS and GPT partition table types
would not be much work, but when you add all of the others,
it becomes a bit of a chore.  At least just adding code would
be pretty quick.  Adding tests and documentation... less so.