[parted-devel] marking a filesystem ID with parted

Teresa e Junior teresaejunior at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 01:01:30 UTC 2010

2010/11/16 H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com>:
> On 11/16/2010 02:46 PM, Jim Meyering wrote:
>> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>>>
>>> Unfortunately parted doesn't let you move or resize a partition where it
>>> doesn't understand the filesystem, even though many filesystems have
>>> their own resizing tools and sometimes even allow online resizing.
>>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> Actually, if you are using a GPT partition table,
>> you *can* resize.  Simply remove the partition and then recreate
>> same-numbered partition with the new start/end, using the mkpart
>> (*not* mkpartfs) sub-command.
>>

> You can do that with other partition table types too, most of the time.
>  It's just not very user-friendly.
>
>        -hpa

Hello!

We can't expect the disk to have a GPT table, actually. And IMO this
method is not only unfriendly, but unsafe. It could be safe to use it
to set the ID of my own partitions, but not to release to the public
trusting that I will do the perfect guess in removing and recreating
the partition with the same number and size in every situation.

I had a look at GNU fdisk, which I don't know if is related to this
project (parted), but it is not able to be scripted (though it has an
option --script, which seems not to do anything at all).

Should I file a bug against parted requesting such feature? Doing that
with sfdisk is easy, but today it is easy to expect a 2TB HD.

Best regards!
Teresa and Junior