[parted-devel] "Error: Can't have a partition outside the disk!"

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Sun Sep 19 18:00:14 UTC 2010

Phillip Susi wrote:
> On 9/15/2010 11:47 AM, Jim Meyering wrote:
>> Hi Rich,
>>
>> What is your use case?  It seems rather unusual
>
> We get plenty of reports from users getting this or similar errors at
> the Ubuntu forums and bug tracker.  Somehow something goes slightly
> wrong with the partition table, and parted and gparted refuse to show or

Hah ;-)
When something like that goes wrong,
it never feels like a "slight" problem.

> do anything with it, and they have to resort to fdisk to get a look at
> the table, figure out what's wrong, and fix it.  It would be much
> preferable if (g)parted would let you know something is wrong, but
> continue with showing you what's in the table and letting you fix it.

That sounds sensible.
Perhaps an option to remove (non-interactively) any partition with
an "invalid" extent.  We could start by removing any partition that
extends beyond (or "too close to", depending on the partition table
type) end of disk.

Do you feel like working on this?