[parted-devel] "Error: Can't have a partition outside the disk!"

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Wed Sep 22 03:23:02 UTC 2010

On 09/20/2010 12:17 AM, Jim Meyering wrote:
> If that really such a common scenario?
> What tool/scenario seems to cause the trouble?

I haven't a clue what causes it, but I do see people with the problem on
the forums at least every few months.

> Perhaps parted should provide a way to fix it via
> a low level partition-resize command,
>
>    partition-resize N START END
>
> Where you might use
>
>    partition-resize 3 +0 -50s
>
> in order to shrink the 3rd partition by 50 sectors.

I suppose that could be handy, though in the end, the result is the same
when you delete the partition, then recreate it with almost the same
parameters, which is what I usually tell people to do with fdisk, and
have seen others give similar advice.