[parted-devel] 3TB drives available at retail; anyone tried parted with 'em?

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Mon Sep 27 18:19:53 UTC 2010

John Gilmore wrote:
> I received a 3TB Seagate drive today.  Due to PC-clone boot issues,
> they don't sell it as an ordinary SATA drive, but you can buy the external
> USB drive and merely take it out of the box.  It's $200.  See:
>
>   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148580

Hi John,
[sorry about the delay -- your message was stuck in the
 queue waiting for moderator approval. ]

> I'm writing to suggest that parted developers consider getting
> such a drive and testing with it.  It's the first ordinary SATA
> drive holding more than 2TB.

Thanks for the heads-up.
If someone sends me one, I'll be happy to investigate right away ;-)

> Here's a review of the drive (both as a SATA drive and in its native
> USB2 and optional USB3 interfaces):
>
>   http://www.anandtech.com/show/3858/the-worlds-first-3tb-hdd-seagate-goflex-desk-3tb-review/
> [2509832.032135] sd 20:0:0:0: [sdd] 732566645 4096-byte logical blocks: (3.00 TB/2.72 TiB)

A commodity disk of any size with 4k-logical sectors will be very useful
from a testing perspective.  That it's 3TB is icing on the cake.

> Here's what parted (2.2) says:
>
> $ sudo parted /dev/sdd
> Warning: Device /dev/sdd has a logical sector size of 4096.  Not all parts of
> GNU Parted support this at the moment, and the working code is HIGHLY
> EXPERIMENTAL.
>
> GNU Parted 2.2

That warning is gone in parted-2.3.
Here's its announcement from back in May:

    http://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=6356