[parted-devel] 3TB drives available at retail; anyone tried parted with 'em?

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Wed Sep 29 13:34:18 UTC 2010

On 9/29/2010 6:11 AM, Jim Meyering wrote:
> Right.  "at or beyond the 2TiB mark".
>
> The MBR format allocates 32 bits for each partition starting sector
> number, and at 512-bytes/sector, each partition must start before the
> 2TiB mark (i.e., before byte 2^32 * 512).  Similarly for length.
> The maximum MBR partition length is 2TiB-1 bytes.

Actually I was pointing out the limitation of the NTFS boot sector,
regardless of the MBR.  At first I thought you could have grub in the
MBR of a GPT disk and have it chainload Windows from above 2tb, but the
NTFS boot sector contains its 32 bit offset and uses that to compute
disk addresses to load $Boot, so it won't work above 2tb.