[parted-devel] "Error: Can't have a partition outside the disk!"

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Sep 29 13:55:59 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 11:11:48AM +0200, Karel Zak wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 05:42:21PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > In any case I'll probably write a small utility which just zaps the
> > partition table without touching the rest of the bootloader.
>
>  Maybe we can add this functionality to wipefs(8), libblkid is already
>  able to detect and parse almost all partition table formats.

Coincidentally I tried using wipefs within libguestfs (but not
successfully yet).  It really only wipes filesystems, which I guess
should be obvious from the name.  I think it should be extended to
wipe other stuff to: LVM, partition tables, RAID metadata being three
obvious ones.

[On the subject of virt-resize]

We ended up using parted to initialize the partition tables, then
copying the bootloader from "around" the partition tables.  These were
the patches which now appear to work:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libguestfs/2010-September/msg00054.html

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top